Intra uterine insemination (IUI) involves the extraction of a semen sample from the male partner or a donor, which is directly injected into the cavity round the time of ovulation. IUI is usually prescribed because the first in line of infertility treatments when treatment by medication fails. IUI is suggested within the following situations:
1. When there's a light to moderate decrease within the sperm count and motility.
2. When no apparent cause or signs for infertility is found (unexplained infertility).
Basics to undergo an IUI treatment
Apart from a routine examination, the subsequent tests are administered before performing an IUI
1. Semen analysis
2. Sonography of the uterus and ovaries
3.3. Tests to see whether the tubes are open [via Hystero-salpingography (HSG) or laparoscopy], the character/nature of the tests depend upon the patient’s age, duration of infertility and clinical findings.
Initiation of IUI treatment follows certain planned steps
1. First, we stimulate the ovaries with medications. The aim is to supply 2 or 3 eggs in each of the ovaries.
2. Then we monitor the response by sonography.
3. We trigger the final process of ovulation when the follicle is of a certain size with an injection of HCG.
4. The husband is required to offer a semen sample on the day of an IUI. Alternatively, a previously preserved sample also can be used. The semen test sample is handled to isolate the motile and ordinary sperms.
5. Performing the particular IUI – this is often a really simple out patient procedure.
– The IUI is then administered 36 to 40 hours after the trigger injection (HCG) is run .
– The prepared semen sample is injected directly into the uterus employing a fine catheter.
Precautions to take after an IUI treatment
IUI may be a simple procedure and doesn't require any special precaution. You would like to rest for a couple of minutes after the procedure, after which you'll resume all of your routine activities. At times, you'll even be prescribed medication to support a pregnancy.
Intricacies involved in an IUI treatment
IUI may be a simple and safe procedure. aside from mild pain and spotting on the day of an IUI, there are not any major complications. Around five to 10 percent of the patients have multiple [generally twin] pregnancies. Sometimes, a patient may respond excessively to medications and produce more eggs, putting her in danger for multiple pregnancies and a condition called Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome (OHSS). If this happens , your doctor will advise you accordingly and therefore the cycle could also be cancelled or converted to an IVF cycle.
IUI success rates
About 80% pregnancies thanks to IUI occur within the primary three IUI cycles, post which the success rate lowers. We generally recommend a maximum of three IUI cycles, but this relies upon the age of the patient and therefore the cause and duration of infertility.
WINGS IVF Rajkot Center is Rajkot’s and Saurashtra’s best multispecialty center designated IVF center for all your infertility centers.